Default location of panel

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Sun Feb 3 01:50:35 CET 2008

On Sonntag, 3. Februar 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> * to make it useful for the taskbar, it needs to be wider. making the panel
> wider results in really, really big applets (e.g. battery). so this exposes
> something we need to work on: Vertical form factor appropriateness in
> applets.

How is this supposed to work? Should the user be able to set the size and the
applets are arranged accordingly? I.e. on a 100px wide panel the clock would
take 50px width and the battery another 50px will and be placed next to it
rather than below it? Or will applets always be as wide as the panel, even if
they don't really need to be that wide.

Maybe it would make sense to tell the applets one size they should try to fit
in rather than using the panel-width/height for it. That way a vertical panel
would submit a height of e.g. and although there would be more space
width-wise, applets would adapt to it and could be placed next to each other.

Sven