runner completions

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Apr 28 03:36:59 CEST 2008

On Sunday 27 April 2008, Jordi Polo wrote:
> I implemented the second one but it looks a little bit ugly...

both options are problematic. they involve sequentially going through lists at
some point, or else making runners divide up their matches reliably for us
(more complexity in the runers).

what's so bad about making GUI's detect the kind of match? we already require
that for informational vs exact vs probable.

the idea of having autocomplete suggestions possible via the matches list says
we don't need to design a separate mechanism.

the fact that no runners actually provide autocomplete suggestions says that
we don't need to implement it at all right now.

once we get runners that actually can do something interesting and useful with
autocomplete that can't be done with possible matches, we can then revisit
this. in the meantime we can be comfortable knowing that there is a way to
serve this need that doesn't require changing much or any API.