Mac-like menu bar plasmoid added to playground

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sat Apr 26 10:55:40 CEST 2008

Am Freitag, 25. April 2008, um 15:43 Uhr, schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> Am Dienstag, 22. April 2008, um 12:22 Uhr, schrieb Lubos Lunak:
> > On Monday 21 of April 2008, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > > Supressed as in:
> > > If I have "plasmoidviewer programmenu" running and start kwrite
> > > with "macStyle=true" the signal windowAdded() is still only emitted one
> > > time by KWindowSystem, as can be seen in the debug output. IIUC there
> > > should be another one for the toplevel menu bar, right?
> >
> >  Yes. It seems KMenuBar in KDE4 is broken, try with a KDE3 app.
>
> So far I did not manage to start a KDE3 program inside my KDE4 session
> (some auth problems I need to understand) but it looks that it isn't
> KMenuBar which is broken. Some other toplevel windows are also not
> signalled, e.g. a ripped of toolbar. No windowAdded() signal emitted, still
> both menubar and toolbar are window system items with their id and
> properties like:
> Menubar:
> _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE(ATOM) = _KDE_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_TOPMENU,
> _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_UTILITY
> Toolbar:
> _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_UTILITY,
> _KDE_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_OVERRIDE, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL
>
> Interestingly enough if I click on/activate the toolbar KWindowSystem emits
> the signal activeWindowChanged(). Any idea where I should look for now?

Update for those interested:
1) Plasmoid renamed to menubar, still in playground.
2) If programs are already running, before the menubar plasmoid is started,
their toplevel menus are found and (after adapting the code to the fact that
QX11EmbedContainer::embedClient() is asynchronous) embedded.

Current Problems:
1) Menu bars just show up as a grey rectangle, no content.
2) Menu bars of programs started after the plasmoid still are ignored by
KWindowSystem.

Friedrich