Plasma Themes (for all plasma devs)

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 19:16:58 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I had to put the "for devs" note since I suppose many of you started
to ignore the messages that contain the term 'Theme' since the contest
started. :)

When I look at the Plasma codebase, it seems very well thought of -
like if this was Plasma 2 (a rewrite of plasma with most caveats avoided),
and not the firstborn.

The only thing that doesn't look like it had been given a lot of thought
is theming.

The reasons behind this impression are:

- more and more rendering /hints/ in the SVG files.
- inconsistency between hints - hint-stretch-borders and hint-tile-center
  (one hint is for turning on the stretching, and the other one is for
  switching it off)
- more and more groups in SVG file (81 different groups for panel - quoting
  Nuno on this one)
- more and more prefixes

And still, there is so much that can not be done with this ever-growing
implementation of themes.

In our last discussion on this topic, I was generally on the 'it is just ok
the way it is now' side because I thought that we will not wish for the
more advanced themes.

Now, when I see that we will have 81 different groups only for the panel's
background, I have to ask whether we can do this in a more elegant way.

Cheerio! :)

--
There is a better way of life and it's not so hard to find
If you live and let the people in your world speak its mind