[REVIEW] isAnimating() function for phase

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Fri Apr 11 15:51:07 CEST 2008

Hello,

One of the problems with phase is that when you do anything in an
applet/widget that takes more then 40ms, animations start to stutter,
which isn't that nice. In RSSNOW for example, I have the problem that
removing graphicsItems that aren't used anymore takes just too much
time (I'm not sure if that's supposed to take so much time, but couldn't
find anything abnormal going one with valgrind), causing other
animations to drop one or two frames.

To avoid this problem, it would be nice to have an isAnimating()
function that tells you if phase is doing any animations at the moment.
By checking this in your animationComplete or whatever, you can delay
relatively heavy operations until all animations are finished.

I've tested this with RSSNOW and it works like a charm. I would like
some feedback before I commit this though. So what do you think about
this solution?

Rob Scheepmaker,
(pinda)