Plasma Themes Contest writeup

Jamboarder jamboarder at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 19:25:53 CEST 2008

Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Should we extend the deadline?
>
> I see two reasons for doing so:
> - to allow current contestants to finish their themes (primary reason)
> - to receive a couple more themes

Full disclosure: I have 2 themes entered in the contest.

It appears that the current deadline might be performing itsfunction well enough (another surprisingly complete theme just got posted this morning).  That said, I don't think it would be too much of a big deal to extend the deadline no further than to the weekend.  However, if we do, it might be worthwhile holding to original the deadline for announcing contest winners.

We should probably try to pin down a measure of finish-ness that might help decide on whether it is even necessary to extend the deadline.  I offer that if the theme covers elements of plasma with which the user is expected to interact (out of necessity or frequent choice - we NEED plasma use cases), then the theme is sufficently complete w.r.t. the deadline.  I think these elements are panel, dialog, tooltip, widget background, clock.  Obviously the more complete the better, but that's a judgment issue not a deadline-extension issue.

My opinion (and hope) is that the most promising themes will probably meet the above criteria in time for the current deadline.  I have my eye on one that I really hope makes it.  For a little perspective, before the contest was even suggested there were about 3 or 4 themes on kde-look.  Now there are 17 themes.  Granted, they don't suit everyone's taste, but if the contest accomplished nothing else, I'd be pretty happy  that this much was produced in just a little over two weeks.  AND they're only a GHNS click away!

peace and respect,
Andrew