KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/desktoptheme/widgets

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Apr 2 18:43:18 CEST 2008

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> moving this conversation to panel-devel...
>
> On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Marco Martin wrote:
>> On Wednesday 02 April 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>>> SVN commit 792768 by tyrerj:
>>>
>>> CCBUG: 159981
>>>
>>> "Default" style Panel Backgroung SVG file modified to have the same
>>> boarder on all 4 sides so that it has a boarder when used in all 4 edges
>>> of the screen.
>>>
>>>  M  +170 -365  panel-background.svg
>> i think it doesn't look really well in panels that shows more than one
>> border (panels less wide than the screen)
>
> detail of *what* you don't think looks good about it would be helpful. i'm
> guessing it's because previously to this, the sides of the svg "faded" out as
> they reached the screen edge, which is cool.

They faded to black as they approached the bottom of the screen.
However, this was not adjacent to the desktop background.  So, I'm not
sure that this would look good with all backgrounds.  The gray boarder
is a bit plain, but it is safe -- it looks OK with any desktop background.

> however, we've shipped several minor releases now with an svg that plain
> doesn't work at all for, e.g. top panels. we've had a few bug reports about
> this. i've forwarded at least one on to the oxygen component.
>
> the oxygen team hasn't had the time/resources to address the plasma theming
> issues. in the meantime, i'd rather have something that works than results in
> bug reports.
>
>> i think the multiple svgs should
>> be used in this case (the feature was implemented for the use in the panel
>> in fact),

Actually, this would be a single SVG file with multiple views in it --
actually multiple copies of 'top', 'bottom', 'left', & 'right'.  The
corners should work for all 4 directions.

> i'd really like to see use of this minimized. unless there is good reason for
> it, e.g. lighting differences. this may well be one good use case for this,
> but i'd still recommend cautious/wise use of this feature.

I believe that the SVG I committed is an improvement -- Panels now have
a boarder no matter which edge of the screen they are on.

This does not mean that it has to be the final answer.  If we want
something more complicated, and can decide on exactly what we want, I am
willing to work on it.

--
JRT