KRunner behavior change

Matej Svejda matej.svejda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 11:33:44 CEST 2008

>  >  * pressing tab in the SearchTermBox causes the next Match to be
>  > highlighted (bash-like)
> this doesn't work here? i have to open the completion list first.. not so hot
>  really.
That's weird, I removed the completion-box completely as IMHO it
doesn't make any sense. The matches should be used as completion
(after all, that's what they do: they find out what the user means by
what he's typing -> completion. And they are a lot more intelligent
then the simple completion-box). The completion box isn't really
helpfull therefore. It just slows the user down as he has to "get
through it" to reach his matches. Also no other launcher interfaces
(Katapult, GnomeDo, Quicksilver have that).
Try it. IMHO it really makes KRunner more convenient to use.

>  i increasingly get the feeling that we're not going to get away with a simple
>  kconfig based store for this data. a small queryable embedded database
>  probably makes more sense from a flexibility and performance POV.
You're right. I'll look into that. How much more time is there to get
this in 4.1?

> this really does not work in the case of the calulator runner however.
>  clobbering the clipboard behind the user's back is also not very nice
>  behaviour. so, i think we'll skip on this one.
Ok. What about making it easier for runners to copy things to the
clippboard, maybe through SearchContext.

> so how do we keep state between executions of krunner? remember that
>  queries != matches.
Right....

> ... which is intentional, so that you can do multiple calculations in a row. i
>  happen to use this on a regular basis, in fact, and was a requested feature.
Didn't know that. Maybe this can be made configurable?

> i'm not sure we want to drag subtext into it ...
Maybe we should add a method for runners to give matches a unique id...?

Matej