Applet::createConfigurationInterface

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 08:48:28 CEST 2008

On April 1, 2008 18:36:30 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi...
>
> attached is a draft patch that implements
> Applet::createConfigurationInterface. the idea is that applets will add
> their widgets to the dialog, and then Applet can do whatever it pleases
> with it. this will prevent common bugs from occuring (like dialogs not
> showing up on the right desktop) and even let us put the configuration on
> the canvas with a proxy widget if we so desired.
>
> showConfigurationInterface is not removed or changed, so existing applets
> won't break, but it would no longer be the preferred mechanism.

sounds pretty cool.

> what i don't like about the patch thus far:
>
> * it uses KConfigDialog and pretty much commits us to using that long term
>
> * it activates the Apply button no matter what. i couldn't find a nice way
> to do this in the case of not having a KConfigSkeleton to drive it =/
>
> thoughts?

I kept meaning to bring this up, but never got around to it: I'm sick and
tired of ok/apply/cancel. that trio of buttons is just... a broken concept.
systemsettings ditched it, and I'm glad. can we follow suit?

see, "apply" and "ok" both call the function that applies the settings; ok
just closes the dialog afterwards. cancel closes without applying the
settings. so when I've already hit 'apply' to test the settings, I usually
then click 'ok' to close the dialog, even though I know that this needlessly
calls the applyConfig again - clicking cancel would work just as well for me,
but I'm somehow trained not to click it because it's red and says 'cancel',
not 'close'. I also used to be slightly bemused by the fact that cancel
doesn't actually cancel changes that I've applied.

having some combination of apply/reset/close, like systemsettings, would make
much more sense to me.

--
This message brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com