Kickoff patch review

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at kde.org
Tue Apr 1 17:49:59 CEST 2008

Hi,

> I think this would be ok iff the tabbar wasn't
> completely hidden.  When search results are being
> displayed, no tabs should be selected but all should
> still be visible.  Keeping the tabs visible is
> arguably necessary to allow access to other Kickoff
> functions if the search doesn't produce the desired
> results.  There are likely other reasons to keep the
> tabs visible.  I seem to remember the original Kickoff
> doing something similar but perhaps I recall
> incorrectly.

There are some problems.

1) Technical: QTabBar doesn't allow one to have a null selection. Always and
only one tab will be te current index.

2) Intuitive: One could search and later moving to a tab for trying if the
search applies to logout. For example, being on "Last used items" I could
move to the search box and try with "Logout", and later moving to
the "Logout" tab to see if the rest of the elements were filtered. Hiding the
tabbar and making the user understand that he/she needs to remove the search
string is probably the best thing from my POV. Please note that we could
probably add as I said before another tabbar with only one tab "Search
results", but we would taking out room for the results.

3) Intuitive^2: If I search and later I move to a tab, should the search
textbox be cleared ? Why my search string became lost ?

From my POV it is important to make the user understand that if the textbox
contains something, kickoff is in "search mode", while if it is empty,
kickoff will be in "normal mode".

Bye,
Rafael Fernández López

GPG Fingerprint: B9F4 4730 43F8 FFDD CC5E BA8E 724E 406E 3F01 D070