Idea for SoC propsal

Jordi Polo mumismo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 14:45:10 CEST 2008

> Anyway, I went through both your proposal and Matej's a few mins ago
> and I'll provide feedback soon. I noticed your latest draft is quite
> different from the first one you posted and as of now it conflicts
> with mine :-S (the first one didn't).

I am not sure if you are talking with me. Anyway, if you are going to make
any work in krunner, I am interested in talk with you. If 3 of us are going
to work on krunner, we'll need quite a bit of talking.  I wait your
comments. Also, I use to be in #plasma and #kde-devel, my nick is
surprisingly jordi.

And in a someone unrelated comment, as expected, multilingualism is a
difficult goal. I've been playing with some ideas in the calculator runner
(this runner may be the most difficult one in term of syntax, that's why I
started testing ideas there).

Right now the CalculatorRunner will run the text input as qscript code. What
make it very simple but confuses users who generally expect some more user
oriented math language (programming languages make its decisions on syntax
knowing they will be used by programmers).

I've tried to write a small parser. Even working for simple cases it gets
crazy easily ( math expresions can be intrincate ...)

And of course multilinguism is a problem even in a "restricted" domain as
maths. In spanish we don't use "sin 30" but "sen 30".  I also wanted to
implement the google command "X% of Y", which is easy but Japanese will find
it really awkward (I don 't think they can get used to it) because they say
"YnoX%".

So the only solution is go to a pure mathematical usage (I'll send a patch
when ready).
The mathematical language has evolved to become universal at least for
signs, operant positions and the like. If someone knows exceptions on this,
please tell me.
The "sen" example of spanish is considered an alternative to "sin" (though
I'm spanish and I didn't know about "sen" not being the standard Spanish
name).

less flexible than letting the task to each application.

Jordi Polo Carres
NLP laboratory - NAIST
http://www.bahasara.org