Kickoff patch review

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at kde.org
Tue Apr 1 02:15:30 CEST 2008

Hi again,

So now. The patch at:

http://media.ereslibre.es/2008/03/kickoff/kdebase-workspace.diff

will do the next things:

- All that the previous patch did. (not forcing State_Active, so we get
something like http://media.ereslibre.es/2008/03/kickoff/kickoff3.png), less
aggresive.

- When searching, the bottom tabs are plain nosense, giving the idea that we
could search in "last used items" or on "logout". So, 2 main changes when
searching on this patch:

	- Select the 1st match if any. When we search the first match is selected for
just pressing enter.
	- Hide the bottom tabbar.

The searching look is at
http://media.ereslibre.es/2008/03/kickoff/kickoffsearch.png

A random view is at: http://media.ereslibre.es/2008/03/kickoff/kickoff4.png

From the previous discussions, we could say that the cluttering of the user
eye is for me, not the best argument. Why ?, well it will depend of kickoff
size, obsiously, in first case. And, we could say then that
http://media.ereslibre.es/2008/03/kickoff/detailedview.png this clutters user
eye, when nobody has filled a bug against detailed views yet because of this
reason on the KDE history (afaik). I just think that LTR users will expect
the contents to be at the left, exactly as they were before being hovered.

The strongest reason apart from that that I have for this thing getting in is
consistency. I always bet for consistency, and giving our desktop a
consistent look is a need I think.

So, please, since this patch gets too many new features for kickoff, I would
ask for you to tell me what you would vote for it to get in, so I can
precisely clean up the patch and just commit the parts that almost everybody
agrees.

- New background look.
- Search hides tabbars (please note that instead of hiding, we could add
another tabbar with only one tab "Search Results" so this would be more
intuitive, despite that we would have less room for the results themselves).
- Search highlights the first match so users only need to click enter.
- Mouse tracking is strict. No item is hovered if the mouse is not over an
item (except on the search, of course, if point 3 is accepted).
- Pressing Up/Down on keyboard when no selection is made selects the last and
first items respectively.

So, that's it I think. Let me know your thoughts.

Bye and thanks,
Rafael Fernández López

GPG Fingerprint: B9F4 4730 43F8 FFDD CC5E BA8E 724E 406E 3F01 D070