[Panel-devel] Kickoff / KDE 4

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 05:32:02 CEST 2007

Hi Siraj,

> So I request the Kickoff porting team lead by Knight

There isn't a team as such.  This is just work that I did in this past week.

> the idea is to make the GUI XML based + SVG themeing (again xml).

That is a much more ambitious project then.  As I said earlier,
Kickoff exists as an implementation of a tried and tested design using
Qt/KDE 4 frameworks to solve the "we need something now" problem.

> but it's terrible to have 100 different frameworks that dose the same thing.

I wouldn't classify Kickoff as a framework.  It is essentially just a
set of simple models built on various kdelibs classes, with a couple
of custom views to display those models.  Hence only ~3000 lines of
fairly simple code so far.
The one part of Kickoff which might be interesting for you is the
ApplicationModel class which is a tree model of the available
programs.  That is mostly copied from kdelibs with some small tweaks
to match the presentation of application icons required in the Kickoff
design.

Regards,
Robert.