[Panel-devel] Kickoff / KDE 4

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Tue Sep 25 19:46:25 CEST 2007

On Monday 24 September 2007 21:16:14 Robert Knight wrote:
> Hello,
Hello,

> As discussed at the last Plasma IRC meeting, I started work on a new
> Kickoff implementation using Qt 4 / KDE 4 frameworks.  The new
> implementation is currently functional (but not complete) with the
> exception of the search view.
>
> I have just committed the initial code drop into
> playground/base/kickoff-rewrite-kde4
>
> It currently builds as a standalone application ('kickoff') for
> testing although it should no doubt be made available as a desktop
> applet for Plasma/Kicker.
>
> Things to discuss:
>
> * Integrating this with the desktop so that it can be launched by
> pressing a panel button
> * Making use of the KRunner 'runners' in the search view to avoid
> duplication there.
> * Artwork.  The current code is missing the custom tab styling that
> Kickoff/KDE 3 had.  If the artists are interested, then we ought to
> discuss the aesthetics with them.
What are the plans about raptor? Is it supposed to be trashed, go for 4.1
or...?
I've seen no big discussion going on here about replacing raptor with kickoff,
correct me if wrong, and if I'm not, I'd like to start one.
I personally don't think we should dismiss the hard work of some guys,
including a SoC project, so easily. Over than that, raptor has some more
advanced concepts, like a sophisticated algorithm which recognizes the
preferred application basing on the time of the day.
Raptor is very close to be finished (siraj told me than a month is more than
enough to complete it), it has the focus of 2 artists, and really motivated
people actively working on a daily basis on it. I'm strongly against using
kickoff in KDE 4, given the above reasons (and given that kickoff has seems
to have some technical problems, speed is the main complaint actually from
the guys using opensuse).

Bye,
-Riccardo
--