[Panel-devel] Kickoff / KDE 4

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 02:50:39 CEST 2007

> a fair amount of work indeed. *sigh*

Which is why I implemented the view classes with QWidgets.  I have a
limited amount of time for this so I put together a solution which has
a clearly separated model/view setup and then used QAbstractItemView
as a base for the view classes.

The item delegate only requires a QModelIndex and a QPainter to draw
with so that can be re-used in a widget-less view setup, as can most
of the logic in launcher.cpp

> so to make this really work we'd need to
> create something like a QGraphicsModelViewItem ;)

The question there is who is "we"?  I should point out that
qabstractitemview.cpp/.h total over 4000 lines of code.  Duplicating
that functionality, including important details such as the
accessibility support would take time.  I don't know whether the
Trolls' widgets-on-canvas plans include an item view, but if so that
would seem a much easier long term solution.

> in the meantime, the Quick Route is to make a button that pops up a top level
> window at the correct screen coordinates showing the widget.

That is what I had in mind.

> i'm not sure AbstractRunner is what is needed there, to be honest. it may make
> more sense (from a use case perspective) to simply speak xesam.

Okay, perhaps it would help if I clarify the sort of things that need
to be listed when a search is performed:

- Applications
- Places ( Bookmarks, Recently Used etc. )
- Documents
- Contacts
- Communication (Email, IRC logs etc.)
- Basic utilities (Calculator)

Documents and Communication are covered by Strigi (XESAM) in the short
term.  Applications and Places are probably the most important missing
items on that list which I don't think Strigi covers.  One option that
occurred to me would be for the Kickoff launcher to talk to KRunner
over D-Bus to get some of these additional results.

Regards,
Robert.