[Panel-devel] kickoff delegate painting

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Oct 31 17:53:15 CET 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007, Robert Knight wrote:
> > p.s. do you still have that "traditional" kmenu kick around on your hard
> > disk somewhere?
>
> Yes I do.  I have committed it to a separate branch in svn:
>
> https://svn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/work/kickoff-simple-menu

interesting; it has a lot more code to it than i would have expected, and
includes (reasonable and expected) deps on libkworkspace which doesn't
install headers ... making this hard to put in extragear, which is where i'd
hoped we'd be able to put such a thing.

i'll think more on this ...

> I would like development in trunk to focus on getting the Kickoff
> standard UI and core working as well as possible.  I wrote the
> QMenu-based item view mainly because it was something interesting to
> do one evening.  If there are users who have grown up with the old
> Win95-esque menu and do not wish to use something different then that
> is a legitimate reason for including such a menu in KDE 4.0.  Fixable
> technical or aesthetic implementation problems with the standard
> Kickoff UI (performance, appearance, technical bugs, usability bugs)
> are not good reasons.

100% agreed.