[Panel-devel] Future of panel applets?

Hans Dembinski mr_smith at 5th-heaven.org
Mon Oct 29 16:53:44 CET 2007

Dear Aaron and all involved,

some weeks ago I tried KDE trunk to see how far the development of Plasma has
progressed and to check, whether I can already start porting an applet of
mine (kbandwidth, if you like, see trunk/playground/network/kbandwidth) to
the new platform.

While I think that the Plasmoids are great - there is already a nice tutorial
for creating them on dev.kde.org - I did not see information about the future
of panel based applets.

Since my applet is a monitoring one, it only makes sense as a small but always
visible gadjet. As far as I understand Plasmoids, this is something that they
are not designed for. They are supposed to be large but also get covered by
windows.

So I like to know, whether it is already the time to port my applet and
whether there are already some examples/tutorials to find out how to do it.

Best regards and congratulations for the kool direction, in which KDE is
developing!

 Hans