[Panel-devel] A better toolbox UI

Niels van Mourik niels at shodan.nl
Wed Oct 24 21:08:57 CEST 2007

Op Sunday 21 October 2007, schreef Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Friday 19 October 2007, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > - With the old toolbox, as soon as something ends up behind this thing,
> > it's very frustrating getting it back.
>
> good news: i just tried playing with this and it turns out that items that
> go behind the new toolbox are still draggable. yep, the mouse click goes
> right "through" the crease[1]. neat. and, more importantly: problem solved.
>
> btw, did you try putting something behind the new toolbox?
>

> [1] it's what i'm calling the semicircular area (well, quarter circular
> area =) formed by the new toolbox. it's like a goalie's crease in hockey ;)

Hey there Aaron,

Let's try a constructive usability suggestion here (though I haven't checked
out for at least two days, so perhaps things have changed). The toolbox
really is a nice piece of GUI and it's very clear to users how they should
configure it. Having said that I don't think I would wan't this circle in the
upper right corner all day (some people prefer a clean and empty desktop as
much as possible).

So would it be possible to hide the toolbox, for example by "locking the
desktop" (from a context menu). Locking the desktop could mean that all
plasmoids are locked on their place and the toolbox is invisible untill the
user unlocks it again. Perhaps I'm suggesting something that was already on
your todo, in that case it wen't unnoticed ;)

Having said all of the above I'm going to garantee you a truckload of kudos,
beer and tea-dipped biscuits at the next Akademy in Belgium. Because you (and
all those cool co-devs), as Sebas said, being the Robby Williams of Free
Software, and the Bruce Lee of desktop technology deserve at least one
free-beer-and-hack-week a year :)

Just my 2 cents,
Niels
--
The sky may fall on your head tomorrow, but tomorrow never comes!
  -- Chief Vitalstatix