[Panel-devel] Plasmoid desklets .. extended .desktop files.

James Smith smithjd15 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 21:07:42 CEST 2007

Would it make more sense perhaps to use .desktop files to store visual
plasmoids and have .pengine in separate files? I can see being able to
toggle preview of  plasmoids in konqueror / dolphin / kicker instead of a
desktop toolbox or plasmoid catalogue as we have now. Plasmoids can be
pushed right into kicker as well, and / or dropped where desired in
containers on the desktop or the desktop proper.

Down the road this is better for third party plasmoid developers as engines
are refined and rolled up into kde releases proper. It helps to encourage
better coding practices among developers with more reuse of engine code, as
well as unifying the launcher plasmoids and plasmoids proper, and a unified
way to script the kde desktop components interactively.

I haven't played with Beta 3 yet, but it would be great to be able to use
Kioslaves to set the default directory of the containers, enabling sharing
of contents across networks.

BTW, looking forward to Kross. =)
(Agent) Smith