[Panel-devel] kickoff moving to kdebase, addressing some issues in DESIGN-GOALS

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Oct 21 06:42:19 CEST 2007

hi all...

i'm presently moving kickoff to kdebase. Robert's work, building on the
extensive work done by the SUSE people, has been great and i think we have a
good menu for 4.0 at this point.

there are a number of issues left to address, as enumerated rather well in the
STATUS-TODO file. lots of nice "junior jobs" in there.

the DESIGN-GOALS document notes a number of issues, a few of which i'd like to
posit some thoughts on at this point...

in design goal 1 under the "to decide on" parts:

0. Whether to use Plasma applets and widgets and QAbstractItemView as the base

imho, the answer is "yes, but for 4.1 or possibly 4.2 depending
when 'ItemViews NG' become avaialble to us". we have to make this change to
make the menu fit various plasma concepts such as form factor shifts, but
having the QAbstractItemView around is what will make this easier to do.

1. Should facilities be provided for distributions to replace Strigi?

imho, yes, through the use of xesam. this will allow us to work with both
strigi and beagle and whatever else ends up implementing xesam.