[Panel-devel] Kickoff menu items

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Nov 30 02:57:08 CET 2007

hi...

On Thursday 29 November 2007, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> - Changed the selection to fill the full width of the view. It looks more
> like a menu this way and it visually connects the item with its expand
> arrow on the right if there is any.

this is problematic for other reasons. we've been through that on this list
now a few times. short story: clashes with icon colours (tight spaces make
this suck even more), it doesn't direct the eyes to the meaningful content,
it really clashes with the status bars on the computer tab.

> - Icons aren't painted a bit transparent anymore. I thought it looked a bit
> too washed out. A nicer effect can probably be achieved by highlighting the
> selected item, the same way it's done in Konqueror and Dolphin.

except that this isn't konq or dolphin.

so, can we solve these issues in a different way?

> - I thought the title looked strange when it was vertically aligned on top
> of the item rect, so I centered it instead, and moved the subtitle on its
> right (in a crude way, since they use the same font).

this won't work for long subtexts, which is when they are the most important.

> Enabling it paints selecteditems with the gradient you can see in the
> second screenshot.

i like the gradient a lot. the thing we're using right now is actually from
the file views, however, to harmonize with them. i'm torn =)

thanks for putting some thought and time into this...