[Panel-devel] Plasma and the window manager (Re: KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/plasma)

Jason Stubbs jasonbstubbs at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 08:56:55 CET 2007

On Saturday 24 November 2007 03:59:33 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 23 November 2007, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> > The patch is attached. I ended up cleaning up and/or simplifying more
> > than is necessary for reparenting, but it should still be fairly easy to
> > follow.
>
> so the next step is to make the widget a child of the corresponding view,
> and then coordinate between the applet and the view, correct?

The last patch was doing that already, although this one handles a scene
change better by reparenting correctly.

> > Finally, there's a updateGeometry() after resize() in updateSize() that I
> > don't think is strictly needed. Without it, however, the item's size
> > would change but its position wouldn't.
>
> correct, resize doesn't affect positioning, just size. if the item is in a
> layout, however, it should trigger a relayout which may shifts position. if
> that isn't happening, there is a bug in the given layout.

There would seem to be a bug in BoxLayout then.

This patch builds upon the last one by:
- incorporating and extending Lubos Lunak's hack
- (partially) supporting horizontal and vertical layouts
- (partial) embed error checking

The patch itself is a little unreadable as too much has changed, but applying
and then reviewing the actual source code should be fairly straight forward.

--
Jason Stubbs