[Panel-devel] Plasma and the window manager (Re: KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/plasma)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Nov 20 14:16:54 CET 2007

On Friday 16 of November 2007, Chani wrote:
> >  When you get some fancy ideas about toplevel windows (and this is bound
> > to happen with you Plasma people), could you, pretty please, first tell
> > me about it or mail kwin at kde.org?
>
> okey dokey.
> I've been trying to get the systray to show up in the right place. I
> figured out how to get the correct co-ordinates, but it was ending up just
> above the panel instead of on it, probably to do with the panel not wanting
> windows on it. someone suggested I use Qt::X11BypassWindowManagerHint for
> the systray widget, and that did the trick.
> is it correct to use that? can I commit?

 That's not the right way to do it. There's no reason why the systray should
be a toplevel window, it's part of the Plasma window (you also don't create
e.g. pushbuttons as toplevel windows that just happen to be in the right
position WRT the dialog).

 As far as I understood the systray widget cannot be handled normally like
others for whatever internal reasons, so if you need to keep it separately,
at least keep it in the toplevel Plasma window. That is, set the Plasma
toplevel widget as its parent, keep it as the topmost child and keep the
position relative to it.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz