[Panel-devel] kalming kickoff

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 13 04:18:07 CET 2007

On Monday 12 November 2007, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> The only thing that comes to my mind, if changing the colour of an icon is
> not an option is to make it bigger

i tried this. it looked pretty odd. it would really require a lot more
vertical space, some animation and probably even a parabolic effect (ala the
mac dock) to look at all decent. =/

i have been through so many permutations of this stuff ... font sizes, faces,
bold / italic, icon sizes, opacities, highlight rect sizes and opacities,
etc, etc...

> Even though it would change the way I work with the menu a bit, I have to
> say that in the end I think that if there is no other option to make the
> icon change state then greying out, I would support the applications-tab
> style. This would cost that the user has to point to the item one wants
> more information about and pay that there is a very clean GUI with not too
> much information at once and a very clear change in all parts of a selected
> item.

yes, that's actually one of the combos not shown in that video is "box behind
text, activate the icon and show the subtext on hover" .. it seems to work
really well in practice.

it also just occured to me now that i can apply an opacity to the painter
itself to make the icons paint semi-transparent... it has essentially the
same effect as the current lightening with the added bonus that if there is a
background picture, it will show through the unselected icons ever to
slightly.

i've also fixed the top margin of the text properly so that the top of the
text box aligns with the top of the icon but there are 2 pixels between the
top of the text box and the top of the text. looks much better like that.

i've also made the subtitle text dark vs black and increased the alpha on the
highlight rect a bit more for better contrast.

additionally, i've fixed up the search bar and contents area to have proper
alignment as per Wade's observations. tab bar is still messed up, but this is
a step in the right direction ...

you can see where i'm at now here (846k file):

	http://plasma.kde.org/media/mycomputerpage.avi

(note, btw, that all these screencasts are horizontally stretched due to the
wonders of screen recording software available for x11)

still no animations of course, but note how things are better aligned, how the
margin within the highlight rect is proper, how the icons and usage
bars "jump" slightly in appearance when hovered, the cleanliness of the page
when nothing is hovered and the presentation of the subtitle text itself.