[Panel-devel] kalming kickoff

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Nov 12 20:10:47 CET 2007

Le lundi 12 novembre 2007, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> depends on the state of the volume. if it is a hotpluggable/removable
> device that is not currently accessible, i'm interested in the drive.
> otherwise i was the volume info.

Accessible (as in mounted) or not, you'll get the same information from the
volume (except the mountpoint, but that's on StorageAccess anyway).

> darn. hm. would it make sense to offer such a thing? =)

Not sure, that's really just a hint, and apart from floppy the other ones
won't lead to nice strings anyway. But I might be mistaken.

> i can add it to
> Kickoff for now, but maybe you could move it to Solid later, e.g. 4.1?

Sure, we can evaluate that at a later point.

> i don't want mount information. in the case that there is an unmounted DVD
> drive, i don't want to show "THE_BOTHERSOME_MAN" (which is what my menu
> currently says is in the drive ;) or "/media/cdrom0" (because it isn't
> there).

Actually you want to show "THE_BOTHERSOME_MAN" (I suspect it's a video DVD)
because it's in the drive and available to the user (moreover you don't mount
video DVD, so you would never show it to the user with the way you're
proposing).

> instead, i'd like to just say "DVD drive" on top, perhaps with the
> eventually mountpoint ("/media/cdrom0") below it in the subtext.

Mountpoints are known only when the device is mounted.

> so my question is how to find out what kind of device it is so i can
> output "DVD drive" in user-friendly terms.

Check for the OpticalDrive interface?

> tangentially: right now kickoff attempts to setup (!) all drives it lists.

Urgh!!!

> that was hidden amongst Robert's recent commits and that seems rather
> unfriendly to the system. i'd like to move the setup attempt to selection,
> so that the drive remains un-setup until the user clicks on it ...

Sure, really I'm restating it here but most of the things you list are
problems already solved in KFilePlacesModel. If I were you I'd use that maybe
using a proxy model to attach more information (like the subtext line you
seem to want).

> indeed. i don't think it would be wise at this point, however, due to some
> layout needs of kickoff that would require a bunch of work. for 4.1 though
> let's take a look at doing this.

You call.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."