[Panel-devel] svg rendering

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Thu Nov 1 14:24:50 CET 2007

On Tuesday 30 October 2007 13:16:43 Sven Burmeister wrote:
> On Dienstag, 30. Oktober 2007, Sean Harmer wrote:
> > A problem that I have just run into is that in Qt 4.3.x rendering of
> > fonts is not supported outside of the GUI thread. This leads to problems
> > when trying to render for e.g. the analog clock SVG in a separate thread.

I don't think using fonts in SVGs are a good idea either. We should just say
it's not supported, after all, fonts make many more problems than what they
could ever solve, and in inkscape it's one click to turn text into paths.

Apart from that, the analog clock should probably move away from kdebase as
soon as the digital clock is sanitized (next item on my TODO), it's not
artistically consistent with the look of other plasmoids, and it's not even a
very good SVG.
It was more a "proof-of-concept" when it was designed, to show the first
working plasmoid ever. ;-)

> How many plasmoids have those issues? Could the threading not be disabled
> by those plasmoids and be enabled by default for others? All they would
> have to do when this feature is available is to remove the bit telling
> plasma to not use multi-threading and all other plasmoids would already
> benefit from your work.

Ditto.

Bye,
-Riccardo