[Panel-devel] Plasma::Widget subclassing and QGVItem's

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu May 24 17:28:23 CEST 2007

On Thursday 24 May 2007, Andreas Aardal Hanssen wrote:

> > > Sounds nice, but widget should at least inherit LayoutItem to be
> > > layout-manageable.
> >
> > well, yes. i thought was implied =)
>
> So, maybe Widget is a Layoutitem? Maybe inheriting from QGraphicsItem and
> LayoutItem will make the item a widget?
>
> class Widget : public QGraphicsItem, public LayoutItem
> {
> };

yeah, that would remove one level of inheretence that is probably completely
unecessary at this point. there's really nothing much more to be added via
the Widget class (though people have tried to come up with things a few times
now ;)

> Just a thought. The approach we're looking at in Qt is that layouts are
> items as well, so the layout hierarchy is the same as the item hierarchy

nice =)

> (as opposed to with QWidget, where the hierarchy is separate).

yeah, that's always been a bit of an odd beast, since the layouts and widgets
in the layout usually need to be children of the same parent for it all to
work properly...