[Panel-devel] Plasma::Widget subclassing and QGVItem's

Matias Valdenegro T. mvaldenegro at informatica.utem.cl
Wed May 23 02:41:31 CEST 2007

Hi :

I want to discuss the way were going to take, as currently in
lib/plasma/widgets there are :

- Layout
- LayoutItem
- VBoxLayout (HBoxLayout/GridLayout coming soon)
- Widget

As Aaron pointed now is not possible to add QGraphicsItems to layouts because
they don't inherit LayoutItem (That's the only requerimient to be
layout-manageable), so there's a few choices :

- Create classes that inherit LayoutItem and the desired Qt Graphics Item to
implement boundingRect() virtually.
- Use dynamic properties on LayoutItems, but still you need a way to notify
the LayoutItem that it's geometry has changed and it needs to be redrawn.

I'm still on the idea that all Plasma Widgets inherit Plasma::Widget, but for
Qt's ones we should implement a workaround or something.

Any thoughts?