[Panel-devel] Plug-ons

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Mar 21 21:34:31 CET 2007

On March 21, 2007, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> only one :)) I would like to ask if plug-ons would be a feasible way to
> attract more "beginner"-developers to KDE and provide the users with a lot

that's the idea, indeed.

> One of plasma's advantages, as far as I understood it, is that it will
> enable people to choose their favourite language for creating a plasmoid.

we're starting with javascript, anyways.

> Even for applications that do provide a plug-in interface there are not
> that many plug-ins around that can be installed easily by the user without
> compiling or any other burden than downloading. So it seems that it is not
> easy enough, yet the tools for providing this ease seem available.

qtscript and plasmagik are bridging this gap.

> If one, as a simple example, wanted to display a buddy's avatar next to
> kopete's chat-window one could do that using a plasmoid talking to kopete
> via dbus. There are two pre-requisites that would enable plasmoids to act
> as plug-ons.

using plasma stuff in conjunction with non-plasma windows is out of scope for
4.0 for sure. we need to prove the concept first within plasma for 4.0 and
then we can start thinking about non-plasma applications.