[Panel-devel] Finishing up the Layout Stuff

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 21 05:34:31 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 20 June 2007, Matias Valdenegro T. wrote:
> The actual proposal is just make ALL widgets inherit Plasma::Widget and
> create glue/wrapper code for the elements already provided by Qt (SVG,
> Text, etc)

correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought we had decided to have all widget
inherit Plasma::LayoutItem directly?

this solves the problem of multiply inheriting GraphicsItem, which would be
problematic for things such as QGraphicsTextItem, and keeps the hierarchy
simple.

we can use the parent/child relationships that already exist in QGraphicsScene
betwen QGraphicsItems.

the difference in API that i see right now between LayoutItem and Widget is
that widget adds geometry, setGeometry, updateGeometry, invalidate (ugly
name, btw =) and resize.

invalidate can easily go away and the rest could be moved up into LayoutItem .

the additional parent/child relationships seem to duplicate what is already
there in QGraphicsScene really.

i'd like to see us keep it simple and move with LayoutItem if at all possible.