[Panel-devel] engines, animators, oh my

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jun 11 18:55:30 CEST 2007

On Monday 11 June 2007, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> And how do we decide what the correct polling frequency for a DataEngine
> is? Let's use the example of the time DataEngine. Maybe I want a clock
> applet with a resoution of 0.1 seconds. To do that the DataEngine has to
> provide 10 updates/second. Another clock applet only shows hours and
> minutes. Now I now disable the high resolution clock. Will the
> DataEngine still provide 10 updates/second?

way ahead of you. =) this is the sort of things that kevin and i discussed the
other day. my thoughts are that we need to keep the configuration parameters
with each applet, aggregate from the applets and allow engines to define
whether numerical settings (int, float and, bending the definition a bit,
bool) should be aggregated towards the maximum or minimum.

> If so the end the DataEngine has to use the maximum polling frequency
> even if no currently active applet needs sucha high resolution.

as applets disappear then the configuration request for the higher resolution
does as well. remember as well that this would -only- be an issue until next
reload/reboot. so we're dealing with a situation that exists only when the
user takes a certain set of steps and which is, by definition, temporary.

it's important to keep these issues in mind, but it's more important to keep
the common cases the priorities so that we don't design a system that covers
corner cases perfectly but which makes the common needs difficult. in this
case the common need is to make writing applets dead simple.

(rss feeds are an even more interesting use case for this topic, btw.)

> And how should we decide what the maximum polling frequency is?

see above

> Maybe we could load DataEngines multiple times with different
> parameters?

which completely loses us the benefits of sharing resources and once again
introduces the even worse situation of having multiple timers in the more
common case. in the case of the clock, the common cases are, in decreasing
order:

- having 1 clock with multiple timezones
- having 2 or more clocks with different timezones showing but the same
resolution (i even received bug reports from such configurations when there
was an odd TZ issue back in kde 3.something; so i know these configurations
exist and aren't that rare)
- having 2 or more clock with different resolutions (i've yet to see this one
=)