[Panel-devel] KDE/kdebase/workspace

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jul 29 01:06:32 CEST 2007

On Saturday 28 July 2007, Laurent Montel wrote:
> On Friday 27 July 2007 23:10:47 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Thursday 26 July 2007, Laurent Montel wrote:
> > > SVN commit 693020 by mlaurent:
> > >
> > > Allow to lock applet position
> > >

> > >  M  +19 -0     libs/plasma/applet.cpp
> > >  M  +9 -0      libs/plasma/applet.h
> > >  M  +6 -0      plasma/plasma/desktopview.cpp
>
> Hi,
>
> > besides the fact that this commit does not follow the coding guidelines
> > (e.g. uses tabs instead of spaces), was not peer reviewed (that i know
> > of?) and introduces new public API without apidox ........
> >
> > ... why do we want to lock the position of an applet? yes, i know SK did
> > this, but i don't see the use case for it in plasma. can you provide a
> > reason why we should offer "Lock" in the context menu?
>
> Because when we have several applets on desktop we want to put them in a
> specific position. We won't want to move it by accident.
> and if we want to lock them we must have a menu for it.

if "we" is "the system administrator" then no, that's what kiosk is for.
if "we" is the person using the desktop, then that is what the hover
interface will be for.

please talk to us on panel-devel before adding these kinds of features =)
thanks..

> > the patch is also broken in numerous ways, primarily surrounding kiosk
> > and immutability.
>
> Why ?
> Menu entry is put after test if immutability and kiosk option.

slotLockApplet is a protected slot. any subclass can then call it and thereby
circumvent kiosk. even worse, setLockApplet is a public method.

now that i understand what you were going for, i'll fix the code up. thanks..