[Panel-devel] Scripting update

Jos Poortvliet jos at mijnkamer.nl
Fri Jul 27 13:27:06 CEST 2007

On 7/27/07, Zack Rusin <zack at kde.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 26 July 2007 05:33:03 pm Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> > Sure!
> > Can we make plasma paint itself faster with OpenGL for the lucky guys
> who
> > have a card that supports that, and fallback on native painting when the
> > viedo card on the computer we're running on is crappy and we can use
> just
> > that? Is this any better? =)
>
> Unfortunately, not so much :) It's still a diagnosis. How do you know it's
> going to be faster with OpenGL? Not everything is faster in OpenGL
> (remember
> it's a 3D api, that we're doing magic with to lay vector graphics on top
> of
> it). In fact with HighQualityAntialiasing set on the QPainter it's going
> be slower.
> Tell me what hurts (where what hurts is not "whole Plasma" but "this
> specific
> few lines of code") and then let me do the diagnosis on whether we can fix
> it.

Now we're on it, and Zack wants us to tell him about our problems, I have a
few things for him... First, when I drink Ice-tea, I get a funny feeling in
my mouth. I can wash it away with water, but then the taste is gone as well,
besides, that would be too healthy. Help?

Also, my old 386 doesn't run plasma, and I'm afraid my 500 mhz PIII laptop
with Intel 815 graphics accelerator (decelerator?) won't run it happily
either. Should I ask NVIDIA to develop an USB (1.1) graphics card, or can
you put Aaron so to shame he'll remove most of plasma and bring back
KDesktop, only allowing black&white backgrounds?

Zack, you have a bad effect on other people. First, you make us waste time
laughing due to your funny mails. Second, I get into a mood where I waste
even more time wasting other people's time writing silly (and entirely
useless, I should not send this but I will) emails.

gosh, the invention of the Plasma Interface Guideline acronym seems to haven
cost me my sanity, at least for some time...