[Panel-devel] one month of devel ==?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jul 26 16:31:40 CEST 2007

On Thursday 26 July 2007 16:18:56 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > This sounds like a good start of a short plasma writeup (1 paragraph) for
> the beta 1 announcement ;-)

The keymessages should be clear, however (three of them and they need to be
very clear). I'm not sure if a plasma write-up is really what should go into
the release notes. Much more a "this works, this is what we're fixing now" is
important. Remember, the beta release is not so much about what's going on,
but it's a software release.

> I can do it, if you don't have time, but you're a good writer so I'll ask
> you first ;-)
>
> And of course an up-to-date screencast. Take a few day's, that's OK...
> It'll be even more up-to-date :D

Not necessarily. We need the status snapshotted that's there when tagged,
otherwise we'll show things that are not in the beta release.

A screencast of the whole desktop right now would make sense, though. But
frankly, for a beta, the workspace looks quite incomplete still. kicker is
still in, no panel, task switching by plasma, you cannot even change the
wallpaper or other aspects. I know the plasmoids are cool, and I know that
things are being worked on at a tremendous pace, but calling the desktop
shell 'beta' at this point sends the wrong signal. Instead we need to make
very clear that the main focus is on getting this thing complete (and then
bugfixed). Plasma is not what we should focus on in the release notes, we
should rather take a couple of applications that are further down the road --
think oKular, dolphin or marble. Those really shine.

Also, try to get a statement from the PIM peeps (not that kdepim does compile
right now), but they've caught up quite a bit lately.

KOffice will be releasing their second Alpha at the same time, I think. Not
sure if we should combine announcements, but it's worth considering. (Ingwa
knows this best.)
--
sebas