[Panel-devel] A Twitter DataEngine

Trever Fischer wm161 at wm161.net
Thu Jul 26 04:44:55 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 25 July 2007 5:09:04 pm Andre Duffeck wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 24. Juli 2007 22:23:45 schrieb Trever Fischer:
> > On Tuesday 24 July 2007 6:20:27 am Andre Duffeck wrote:
> > > Oh, you succeeded in downloading the twitter stuff with QHttp. I did
> > > not with KIO and ended up implementing it on top of QTcpSocket...
> >
> > I wanted to start somewhere simple, as how to stuff all the data into
> > such a restrictive design was my main priority. Using KIO would be a
> > great idea because then proxy settings would be honored.
> >
> > > I can't say much to the way of implementation, because i have hardly
> > > looked at the DataEngine stuff at all, but besides that i think i'd
> > > rather want to retrieve the raw XML in the Timeline and Timeline:user
> > > data source instead of the ids only.
> >
> > That doesn't seem to make much sense to me. If you just wanted the engine
> > to return raw XML, making a HTTP/KIO data engine that returns the
> > contents of a file would be the same thing.
> >
> > > Having one source per tweet seems a little overkill for
> > > me, but that's just my opinion and maybe others can comment on that,
> > > too?
> >
> > I had other ideas for how to stuff such a complicated data structure into
> > a DataSource, and this seemed to make the most sense to me. Another idea
> > I had was to use a QList of QMaps but /that/ seemed like overkill to me.
> > The idea would have been to create the same structure in the Update:
> > elements, but in a QMap and in a user's timeline. It didn't seem right to
> > me to use some made-up storage format, when there are already tools
> > available. I use DataEngine's auto-expiration property to limit the total
> > sources to 30 though.
> >
> > > Besides i'd like to use your engine in the applet...
> >
> > Thanks :)
>
> Ok, i had not understood the dataengine concept. It now makes more sense
> and if you don't mind i'd import your engine into svn and start using it.
> Or do you have a svn account?

Nope, I don't have a(n) svn account. If I had one, I wouldn't use it much
anyways. Go ahead and put it in there :)

--
PGP Key ID: 0x35EB69FB
Keyserver: wwwkeys.us.pgp.net

The contents of this document are licensed under the
Creative Commons - Attribution / Share Alike license.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0