[Panel-devel] problem with time dataengine

Michael Olbrich michael-olbrich at web.de
Tue Jul 24 10:52:17 CEST 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 12:24:39AM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 July 2007, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> > Any ideas?
>
> either be patient and let me get the per-source config stuff in or supply a
> patch that does the same =)

You are talking about this [1] right?

I'm not sure I like it. The problem is, that an applet doesn't get what
it asks for. That makes the applets a lot more complicated.

Take a graph for example that plots cpu usage, network traffic, etc.
(That's what I was actually looking into when I looked at the time
dataengine to see how to handle different update intervals).
The applet requests updates every 20 seconds. What it may get are updates
every 5 seconds.
Now the applet needs to
a) know the real update rate (including notifications when it changes).
b) do some kind of accumulation to provide a correct graph.
And if the updates come every 3 seconds it's not even possible to do
things right.

How about making sources unique by name + configuration?
When an applet changes a property the following happens:
If a source with the matching configuration exists, switch to that one.
Otherwise create a new source for the requested configuration.

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-panel-devel&m=118146063505326&w=2

michael