[Panel-devel] OpenGL applets

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Sat Jul 7 00:22:03 CEST 2007

Hi!

On Freitag, 6. Juli 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>         //FIXME: this is evil hand rendering
>         //       svg would be nicer. or even better a global
>         //       way of saying "this applet can't run on this machine"
>
> we were discussing exactly this the other day and will indeed be going into
> plasma.. =)

If I understood Lubos' talk correctly, the new kwin still lacks detection-code
and just uses trial and error in order to decide on the abilities for the
computer.

In Zack's talk he said that Quasar always picks the best possible way for a
given hardware. I am no expert, but for me that sounded exactly like the
detection that kwin/plasma need in order to automatically know how fancy
effects should be, without having to bother the user with settings.

Doing this automatically would also allow that after installing the
binary-drivers kwin/plasma etc. increase their candy-level.

Sven