[Panel-devel] icons, files and the desktop

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Dec 20 16:35:45 CET 2007

On Thursday 20 December 2007, Chani wrote:
> -icons on the desktop, in general (got that)
> -an icon for every file in ~/Desktop

both points are done.

> -ability to align icons nicely

needs to be done.

> -right-click options like creating new files

needs to be done. fairly easy though =)

> then there's drag&drop:
> -when a file is dragged onto plasma in general, make an icon

already done.

> -when a file is dragged onto an icon, if the icon is a program launcher,
> run the program with that file

needs to be put into the icon plasmoid (workspace/plasma/applets/icon)

> -dragging icon from plasma to programs perhaps?

this one is going to a little bit tricky as we only want to create a drag
object when the item leaves the desktop containment (e.g. passes into an app
window

> 1) have the icons be individual applets, and put code in the existing
> desktop containment for trying to keep them in sync with ~/Desktop

which is what Chris has been working on. i think it's a fine option.

> in this case, questions arise as to whether deleting an icon deletes the
> file.

yes, it would.

> also, how do you tell whether an icon is one of the desktop ones, or
> one that's been dragged there?

it would be nice if they were marked, yes.

> right-click options would have to go in the desktop containment itself.

yes

> 2) have a folder-display applet that handles all the classic desktop stuff.
> this could possibly be a containment
..
> I'm really in favour of #2; it seems like a much cleaner approach in my
> mind, and a more flexible one too.

well, we need/want this regardless. so working on this could not possibly be
time wasted =)