[Panel-devel] KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/applets/kickoff

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Dec 16 21:28:48 CET 2007

On Sunday 16 December 2007, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > honestly, i don't like that we have a configuration dialog with one item
> > in it. ugh. it also introduces a string that's really not needed for 4.0.
> > plasma isn't exactly string frozen, but it might be nice not to abuse
> > that privelege toooo much? =)
>
> so, remove th ui-options and leave it up for hand-editing the kconfig-files
> per hand?

at least for 4.0 i think that's wise (for reasons of translation more than
anything else). i see there are now two options in the dialog, with the
second option being rather useful and imho uncontroversial. anyways, it's
there now, let's leave it as is and just move forward with new such features
being discussed first.

> > why does LauncherApplet have a dptr? it's not a publicly exported class
> > and never will be, unless i'm missing some larger scheme here?
>
> it just keeps the header clean.

at the expense of making the implementation less so =) *shrug*

> > also, is there some reason that kickoff diverges more and more and more
> > from the plasma coding style? i'd *really* like to see applets and
> > engines in workspace/plasma/ make at least an effort to conform to the
> > plasma coding style if only because, well, it would be nicer to have a
> > consistent code base.
>
> I followed the coding style I found within the kickoff-codebase.

yeah, which was also randomly non-plasma. i've been fixing that as i go along
changing code there. the code was imported with a non-compliant (and in some
places a bit random) style, so moving it towards a compliant style is more
productive. ditto for all plasma code in kdebase. stuff in extragear i'm not
so concerned about.