[Panel-devel] KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/applets/kickoff

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Dec 16 20:30:47 CET 2007

On Sunday 16 December 2007, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> SVN commit 749156 by sebsauer:
>
> Added "Switch Tabs on Hover" option that allows to disable the
> auto-switching and requires instead a click to switch the tabs. It does the
> same like the Kickoff at KDE3 KickoffSwitchTabsOnHover-option, see
> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2620

i'm of several minds on this commit. if we're going to go for compatibility
with suse's kickoff, let's support all their options. i'm not happy with
sneaking in pet features through the side door of configurability; i'd really
like us to at least come to some agreement on these issues. otherwise we will
end up with a complete mess of options everywhere.

part of the point of going through the pain of a rewrite of something like the
desktop is to try and extricate ourselves from the *mess* we had created for
ourselves previously.

i'm really, really happy with your (S. Sauer's) work on kickoff and i do not
want to dampen your spirits from further work on it. kickoff is already
pretty un-plasma-like in several regards (though we can fix some of that
easily in 4.1); it would be good to keep it from diverging further.

honestly, i don't like that we have a configuration dialog with one item in
it. ugh. it also introduces a string that's really not needed for 4.0. plasma
isn't exactly string frozen, but it might be nice not to abuse that privelege
toooo much? =)

btw, the use of d->switchOnHoverCheckBox->setCheckState with the ternary could
just us setChecked(true). easier, though it's already done so it hardly
matters now =)

why does LauncherApplet have a dptr? it's not a publicly exported class and
never will be, unless i'm missing some larger scheme here?

also, is there some reason that kickoff diverges more and more and more from
the plasma coding style? i'd *really* like to see applets and engines in
workspace/plasma/ make at least an effort to conform to the plasma coding
style if only because, well, it would be nicer to have a consistent code
base.

anyways, it's in there now and while i'm not particularly comfortable with
this commit, there's no real point in reverting it now. in future perhaps we
can continue the tradition of peer reviewing such additions on panel-devel,
however.