[Panel-devel] Comics applet

Chris Howells chris at chrishowells.co.uk
Thu Dec 13 20:52:08 CET 2007

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 13 December 2007, Level 1 wrote:
>> Many of these comics providers would probably be sympathetic to us and want
>> to help us create an access media to their comics (in particular xkcd).  Is
>
> great idea. just needs someone to start contacting them. you could be that
> person, even =)

Actually, as I have pointed out before (but was ignored), UserFriendly
explicitly prohibit what is going on:

http://www.userfriendly.org/faq/

Q. Is it okay if I 'webscrape' or pull down the comic with a script?

A. Such programs that allow a user to view comics owned by User
Friendly.Org are unauthorized; and such activities constitute copyright
infringement, unfair competition and trademark infringement, rendering
the owner and/or user of such programs liable for damages. In short, no.

I suspect that several of the other comics are the same.