[Panel-devel] Multithreaded krunner

Ryan Bitanga ephebiphobic at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 10:23:42 CET 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 12:15 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> > Committed the queue policy. Note: it doesn't completely solve the
> > problem. If more than one runner dominates the CPU, i.e. if another
> > slow runner with an outdated search term is being executed, no results
> > will be produced. The long term solution would be to introduce an enum
> > in AbstractionRunner, say, enum RunnerSpeed { NormalSpeed = 0,
> > SlowSpeed }, methods speed() and setSpeed(speed) and then use the
> > speed to group runners in the queue policy instead of the runner name.
> > Of course someone could think of better names, but you get the idea.
>
> yep; i think it's in good enough shape right now that we can safely do this
> for 4.0.x or 4.1.x though; don't worry about missing more class/study time
> for it unless you actually want to ;)

Well, surprise, surprise, I actually want to :) haha

This patch addresses the problem of having more than one slow runner.
DBUS runners will be the bottlenecks in the future. This patch
requires authors of runners to call setSpeed() within their
constructors if the runner is slow and changes the queue policy to
check the nominal speeds.

Ok to commit?

Ryan