[Panel-devel] Multithreaded krunner

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Dec 2 18:24:28 CET 2007

On Sunday 02 December 2007, Ryan Bitanga wrote:
> I couldn't resist bug hunting and I found out that the reason krunner
> occasionally failed to produce results is because it's busy running
> jobs for outdated queries.

makes sense, yes.

> Apparently, the "continue running match method and discard matches
> when outdated" approach has the problem of allowing slow runners to
> hog the CPU while not doing anything useful. It appears our choice
> are: 1) add provisions for aborting within some runners as I explained
> in an earlier e-mail,

yes, this probably makes sense for extermely slow runners. as the number of
runners grows, this will be more of a problem, of course. one thing that
occurred to me is instead of reissuing a search every 200ms, to be a bit
smarter about when we issue new match attempts based on the text input and
how many matches are currently runnng; we may even want to split runners into
different groups ("hot path", "useful", "epxensive" ... ?) and stagger their
runs. this is something we can research further over time.

> methods. In any case, the "no matches returned" problem is caused by
> abusing krunner and _shouldn't_ happen with normal usage.

hopefully, yes =)