[Panel-devel] Multithreaded krunner

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Dec 2 08:31:48 CET 2007

On Sunday 02 December 2007, Ryan Bitanga wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2007 1:44 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Saturday 01 December 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > wonderful =) please commit and i'll make the above additional
> > > improvements. thanks =)
> >
> > hm.. there seems to be some deadlocks still in there. with rapid type and
> > ctrl-u'ing i can get krunner to either completely lock (ui repaints, but
> > all interaction, including typing or clicking on buttons, is gone) or
> > just not get any matches (so you type and no matches show up)...
> >
> > i'll try and investigate this tomorrow.
>
> How long does it lock?

full freeze is permanent and i have to kill krunner; when it doesn't come back
with matches (much easier to trigger) i have to hide then re-show the
interface.

> The most I've experienced is a fraction of a
> second which is an improvement over the previous one that took around
> 5 seconds at times. I haven't dug deep but the GUI thread is only
> blocked when matches are updated.

yeah, it's not due to matches being updated ... i'm getting full on
no-matches-getting-returned issues.

how to trigger:

* type a word that has matches
* quickly press ctrl-u to clear the line edit
* repeat

if you do it fast enough eventually it will just stop returning matches =/