[Panel-devel] Separate QGraphicsItems for applet border/background and content?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Aug 31 23:36:47 CEST 2007

On Friday 31 August 2007, Robert Knight wrote:
> > the simpler and less central one to this issue relates to whether layouts
> > expand on their own or remain constrained to their container.
>
> I don't understand what you are getting at here.  I am
> using/implementing layouts in the same way they work in Qt.  Namely,
> top-level layouts are given a geometry (usually by the widget which
> owns them) and they divide that space up between their children.
> Layouts and layout items do not usually resize themselves, that is
> done by the parent layout, containing widget or some other actor.

they resize the container if the minimum size required isn't met. we don't do
that in plasma currently. it's completely a one directional operation. which
makes some things a lot simpler =)

> > the more important one is "what is contentSize supposed to return".
>
> There is a difference between the actual size of an applet's content,

ah, i thought you were -also- unhappy with the fact that the default
implementation of contentSize() returns layout()->sizeHint(). if you're ok
with that then indeed we don't need to discuss it =)

> What I am after are separate methods to determine the actual size of
> the content, versus the ideal size for the content.

right, so we have a method for each. seems straightforward.