[Panel-devel] Plasma's ZUI moved to 4.1?

fonz2591 fonz2591 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 02:26:44 CEST 2007

I have been  giving it lots of thought, and after a discussion with tagx, I
think the zoom user interface should be postponed until the 4.1 release.  I
don't think it is at all needed for a fully usable plasma desktop.  In fact,
one of my main concerns is that rushing it into this release will reduce the
potential usability of it and make plasma much more cumbersome to new users.

Another big concern is the amount of work left to do on it.  The following
are all the things that must be completed before the ZUI should be released:

   - Make sure all widgets inherit Widget
   - Disable interaction with widgets when not in desktop zoom level
   - Figure out something to do with the icons and we need to draw the
   applet's name
   - Create a group infrastructure and draw groups in group and overview
   mode
   - Create a consistent interface for adding/deleting groups and applets
   while in group mode, as well as navigating while in group mode
   - Make look pretty

The biggest pain are the groups.  I could probably do most of these if
school wasn't starting back up in a few days.

Please consider it,
Aaron (fonz)