[Panel-devel] Tasks applet and the panel

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 18:26:11 CEST 2007

Hi,

> By the way, that recalls to me that the actual concept of formfactors is not
> enough, and we need to extend it with sub-formfactors or formfactors
> parameters
> For example we need to make each applet know the size of the
> panel,

This can be covered by adding support for applets in layouts.  This means:

1)  Add a method to Plasma::Applet to set its size and then implement
support for that in the most important panel applets such as launcher,
task bar, clock.

2)  Write a LayoutItem-derived class ( AppletLayoutItem? ) which the
layouts can use to resize and position applets.

> Then, when the user composes the panel, the plasmoids should glue toghether,
> with an animation

I'm working on support for animations in layouts, that should work for
this as well.  The tricky part is probably going to be allowing the
user to manually adjust and re-arrange layouts.  The tasks applet
prototype has a somewhat crude example of this with moving task icons
around.

> Nuno Pinheiro should have some mock of that, look for example here:

Some quick comments on that:

- Colour scheme looks good, I'm not sure whether KColorScheme supports
'inverted' ( light text on dark background ) color schemes though.
Something to think about for accessibility.
- Important panel features should be at the edges of the screen so
that they are easy to reach with the mouse.  This means that the
border in the mockup would need to go.

Regards,
Robert.