[Panel-devel] patch: dataengines and timing

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Aug 8 12:15:24 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 07 August 2007, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 06:12:16AM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > - i can see is that if one applet asks for 5s and another asks for 10s it
> > will be updated 1
>
> hu?

sorry; got distracted while writing this.

if there are two requests, one for a 5s update and one for a 10s update, then
it will get updated 3 times every 10s versus the more appropriate 2 times
every 10s.

> > - registering a set of global ticks that are shared between objects so if
> > there are N objects that click over at 10s they all share it; is this
> > actually possible with this design right now? as i'm reading it, it
> > isn't.
>
> It's not. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. I'm using the SignalManager
> class for that too (that's why I used a separate class) but it's not
> part of the patch. I don't have an argument for doing that yet and I
> didn't want to mix too many things into the patch.

fair enough =) one step at a time...

> > - i don't like that the updated signal moved to the DataSignalObject
> > subclass of SignalObject. it makes it much harder to understand the
> > design IMHO; what should happen is IMHO that the SignalObject should
> > simply emit a given signal of the object it is associated with. this way
> > the signal stays with the object, so it can be used more conventionally
> > as well without the signal object. it also makes using the shared
> > signaller more easily with other classes. gets ride of the subclassing.
> > it also gets rid of the
> > qobject_cast .. and ....... yeah. so much nicer that way imho. what do
> > you think?
>
> But that means all applets get the same signal and therefore updates
> with the same rate.

i think i can come up with a way around this ... it'll have to wait until i'm
back home in a couple days, but at that point i'll be able to sit down and
write some code. that's much easier to discuss.

> > some implementation issues:
> > - deleteLater() helps solve the issue of objects being used after they
> > are deleted in slots they call.. use that instead of delete directly in
> > those situations.
>
> "(*it)->deleteLater();" instead of "delete *it;" right?

correct =)

> > - DataContainer::createObject seems very superfluous
>
> Not with the current patch. It is needed to provide a subclass with the
> desired signal.

i see..