No subject

Thu Aug 2 01:02:10 CEST 2007

2007/8/2, Maximilian Kossick <mkossick at gmx.de>:
> On Thursday 02 August 2007, Ian Monroe wrote:
> > On 8/1/07, Maximilian Kossick <mkossick at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > While I don't think that it really matters whether the theme information
> > > is stored in amarokrc or plasmarc (although it would certainly be nice to
> > > have everything in amarokrc) the default settings have to work, and they
> > > do not now.
> >
> > It does matter, Amarok isn't Plasma and not everyone will even have
> > Plasma installed.
>
> No, it does not matter, because plasmarc will be automatically created the
> first time a modified value is written to disk. It may just look a bit odd to
> have a plasmarc if the only installed KDE application is Amarok.

I believe it does matter, for 2 reasons:

1. Backup of settings and the kiosk-tool. These deal with the rc file.
An rc file should contain settings of only one application. The kiosk
system is complex enough as it is.

2. What if many other applications start embedding plasma? plasmarc
will contain settings of all of them. What's the use of separate
rc-files then? Imagine the clutter and user confusion.

So having amarok settings in plasmarc might work as a temporary
solution but we better find a suitable answer soon, if possible before
our first release.

And for drag'and'dropping applets to the plasma corona (desktop) I
suggest a system that uses plamoid packages that are included in
Amaroks binaries. So d'n'd would be logicly the same as installing a
plasmoid with GHNS. I guess the dataengines would have to be available
outside of Amarok, maybe even by default. Is there a DBUS API for
adding dataengines?

Bart