[Panel-devel] application menu and "utilities"

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Oct 10 21:12:28 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 10:51, Florian Merz wrote:
> I just had a closer look at kcoloredit. It could be turned into quite an
> interesting application. Something inspired by
> http://wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html and
> http://wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme/index-en.html would be really
> amazing. Especially the feature to display the colors like colorblind users
> would see it is really cool.
> I wish university wouldn't keep me as busy as it does...

common malady, indeed

i'm going to allot some brain-time to the issue of extragear vs main module
over the coming weeks. perhaps something will spill out.

> > what i'm wondering is if we can do something about the case where people
> > do install all the apps they need to be productive. it's a bit crappy
> > that we say "well, it works if you don't install a bunch of apps" to
> > which the user says "but i use all these apps!" to which we say "well,
> > then it sucks to be you!" =)
>
> Either you have a few applications that do quite a lot or you have many
> smaller applications that are good for single tasks. The first one makes
> individual  applications harder to use, the second one makes searching for
> and picking the right application for the task at hand harder to do. Let's
> see what raptor brings.

yes, we don't need all the answers now. just all the questions.

> > i have no issues with having it launchable only from an icon representing
> > the floppy disk ... but that's a bit different than making it specific to
> > an ioslave.
>
> Yeah, sorry, what I wrote definitely doesn't read like what I wanted to
> write :)
> I didn't want to make it specific to the ioslave, just specific to the
> floppy icon.

ah, ok, now it makes sense again =)

> > essentially your suggestion is to hide these apps from the menu and only
> > have them launched from apps that need them, correct?
>
> Well, yes. Unfortunately this might introduce different issues: A user
> might say "I know I used an application to format a floppy disk some time
> ago, but now I can't find it in the applications menu.". On the other hand
> I don't even know if users would actually realize this is a separate
> application at all.

those that do probably know how to launch it by hand =)